Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Wheel: redux





Were their lives prearranged, I wonder? But how might that be possible? I may or may not fear the truth. Actually, I don't feel much of anything at all. Not anymore.

Our fate, for that matter, may have been sealed eons ago, the turn of some monolithic, cosmic wheel the deciding factor. But, where's the point in dawdling in such metaphysical claptrap? Yet I still can't ... something in that moment I saw her the first time.

She was so young, in appearance, at least. Her face, set just so, affecting an innocence that mirrored the little boy's perfect features exactly. Once she was aware I was watching - I doubt anything missed her attention - the corners of her mouth curling, jawline raised ever so slightly to expose her flawless throat ... for a moment I imagined she meant to offer it, like ripe fruit for the taking. "This can't be," I thought, my cheeks flushed. "What the Hell am I thinking?" I hadn't looked away, however.

My eyes were captured by hers - crystalline, inescapable - no shame or remorse there. There it was again! I couldn't be sure. Some clever deceit? Imperceptible - I knew I'd aroused it - an intuition maybe, revealed in her best features; a consciousness, beyond her years, or even mine? An expectation perhaps - belying calm, and wisdom, yet an awful knowing.

Clumsily, I turned aside, made some excuse and walked away. Yes. Now I was certain.


summer crows
languidly inspecting
the old school ground



;;;

1 comment:

bandit said...


"kill your darlings"