Friday, January 3, 2020

Sleepy Bees





We had some Joe Pye Weed planted in the midst of our garden. I placed it there, in plenty of light, with compost around its roots.

I took some from the lot next to the credit union building, after hours, when nobody one was looking. It grew wild there, but sooner or later, development would over take that little piece of unfettered nature and bulldoze it all back to asphalt, block and mortar.

That old weed attracts lots of insects, including Monarch's migrating up from Mexico. I wanted to do my thing for the butterflies, you know what I mean?

What really intrigued me were the masses of bumble bees that flocked to its medicinal flowers, shocking enough for the dearth of honeybees present, and all through out this northern latitude's season. It was if their lives depended on its nectar, so thick their number on its pistils and stems, from early on the fragrant breeze of summer beyond the lingering heat of fall.

eupatorium purpureum -
in the chill air of morning
petting the sleepy bees






2 comments:

Bill said...

Cool.

Happy New Year

bandit said...


Same to you, Bill.